Friday, March 17, 2017

20 Fingers & 20 Toes || The Day of Transport

Relaxation Lullabies on YouTube are currently playing in the background as I type.  The time is 1:16pm and we are in the midst of naptime for our littles.  Yes, you read that correct, our littles. Not one, but two, and such a blessing they are.

On October 3, 2016 our lives forever changed, the road ahead unknown, however what we did know is that we would have our final State inspection at the same time as meeting our social worker face to face, and a transport van pulling into our driveway with our future.

The inspection went really well, we did have to pause while Jamie ran quickly to the store to grab an ace bandage and gauze pads for our first aide kits for our car.  These were considered a necessity and without them would have delayed the arrival of our official state license.  Jamie got back in record time, exactly 7 minutes.  

We finished up the paperwork with the State inspector, while simultaneously meeting our social worker.  About the same time, maybe a few minutes to spare, we saw the transport van.  There are no words to quite convey how surreal this moment was. We wondered for months what that moment would be like.  We felt more prepared, more than ever, until this moment in time became a reality.  The driver of the transport got out, an older woman in her sixties, and stated she had two little boys by the name of _______ and _______ with her today.  Jamie and I looked at each other, confused as the names and children she had, did not match up to those we had on our placement paperwork.  Watching our social worker leap across the lawn quickly, she asked to see the paperwork, and it was found that the names were changed for protection.  

At that moment I glanced over to the State inspector and saw tears in her eyes.  I smiled of course, with a curious look on my face, to which she nodded back, and quietly said, "In my line of work, I've never been in the position to see this happen. To see the children be transported to a foster family, and it's something I've needed to see."  Just as she finished, I turned around as the youngest leapt into my arms, squeezing me, and telling me his name. I too, then began to get tears in my eyes, as he is just so precious, so tiny, and ready to be loved.

His brother wouldn't let Jamie go.  Jamie carried him for quite awhile until he felt comfortable.  We had read quite a few helpful articles, and blogs about meeting the children. What to do, what to wait to do, so we kind of let them in the drivers seat for the first 48 hours.

After unloading the van of a few, not many belongings, we took them inside to show them their room first.  Give them a tour, so they knew where everything was located that they would need (READ: toys, drinks, snacks, and clothes).  They are so young, but offering them a snack and a drink was the first thing we did after showing them around.  We had a few things, a play kitchen we found at a local Foster Parent garage sale, some books, crayons, and other toys.  Preparing for the unknown, it was difficult, not knowing sizes for clothes, whether they were potty trained, and what they enjoyed playing with.  After drinks and snack, we let them play for a bit, before we gave them a bath, and put them in clothes as they came in pjs.

The evening was pretty uneventful, in that we allowed them to play as much as they chose, until we put them to bed at 8:00p.m.  After we put them to bed, and after the stories were read, I am pretty sure Jamie and I just stared at each other for an hour or so trying to process the day, and all of the feelings we were feeling in our hearts.  Saying so much, without saying anything at all.

The first 24 hours, or rather the first week flashed by so quickly, between dr appointments, dentist appointments, locating a school to get them enrolled in ASAP, and of course the visits with social workers in and out of the house, which created chaos for the boys.  During that first week, the oldest looked at Jamie, after having a moment of tears and tantrums, and asked Jamie if he was going to be his Daddy..  If Jamie would be sending them away again, and if he could please just stay here..

Jamie has shed more tears, as have I, than either care to admit, however they will never outweigh or out number the tears of these little boys.

As we enter month #6, I will be sharing about instances or experiences we have had as foster parents, as care givers, as protectors, as new parents of TWO, and as parents of two tiny special needs little boys.  Our journey has only just began, and we hope that sharing our journey, can only help someone out there beginning or in the middle of theirs.


  1. Rachel, I am SO very happy for you both. I can't stop crying at my desk!! Sending so much love. You four deserve all the love and happiness this world has to offer!!! God bless you guys!!!

  2. As a foster child I never had this experience where I felt like I was wanted. Thank you so much for taking these boys in, and making them feel loved and wanted. You truly are angels on Earth.


I truly enjoy your comments! I read every single one of them, and they truly brighten my day! Thank you! :)